Monday, February 16

All or Nothing

I have been having trouble with this concept recently, especially in the context of my faith. I feel like the spirit has really be pushing this point with me. This was confirmed tonight when Jared Anderson alluded to idea during a short little talk he gave during his concert. He briefly talked about the story of the widow's offering. For those that are not familiar with it, basically Jesus and the disciples are chilling in the Temple watching people come up and put money into the offering box. They see many rich people come up and put large sums of money in it, but then a widow comes up and puts in two coins which equal about penny. Jesus is overjoyed at this and calls his disciples together and says that the widow put in more then anyone else because while everyone else contributed out of their abundance the widow put in everything she had despite her poverty. While this passage is quite short, a mere three verses, it is the climax of what my thoughts have been dwelling on the past few days. I want to give it all, not just money wise but really just give up myself. I have noticed an overwhelming amount of selfishness in myself and our culture that has disgusted and horrified me. I want to rid myself of this pride and selfishness. We have become a society of the self and the Church has been noticeably quiet about this subject. We have become afraid of risk. We have become fine with following Jesus just as long as we don't have to give up that much. I am not suggesting that we don't give up some but like the affluent in Jesus' story we give only some from our wealth. We give but not enough to make us concerned for our well being. We don't give up enough to where we have to rely on God. We instead rely on wealth and status to protect us from the "horrors" of life that Jesus so readily associated with. And don't fear I am just as easily guilty of this. I may not have a lot but rather then give all I have I hold tight to the little I do have. I write myself off by saying if I give then I won't have any, and I need something to survive. I think that the little I have can save me. I am no better then those who give out of their wealth; I don't give out of my poverty. I say that I will give when I have enough to survive, but what do i require to survive. Honestly all I need is Christ, and maybe Aly. I need to let go of my fear of the unknown, my fear of the future, my fear of not providing enough. Ironically enough, as much as I want to be set apart from the world and it's standards, I can fall so easily into them. It is one thing to be able to give up control when it is just you, but it is so much harder when you have someone you love that you have to give up control over as well. It is a lot easier to fall into those traps of desiring control when it involves those you love and care about and are ultimately responsible for. Ultimately I know I need to give it to God and not care about how my life turns out and whether it conforms to the societal standard or not, but while it may be easy to say it is harder to enact. But that is my challenge to myself. To act less on my part and more on God's part, for why should I worry God loves me more then I can even comprehend and he has a plan for me that is greater then my own. So here it is I am ready to give all and leave nothing for myself. I have faith that God will provide.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I make the same excuses...If I give then I won't have anything. I find it easy to point the finger at the rich and point out that they could give so much more...but I could too. Great thoughts man.

    In response to your comment on my blog:

    I totally agree with you. I think that my main thought is really that God is the only one who can make that distinction between those of us who deserve more and those who don't deserve as much. As far as we are concerned...we like to try to figure out who is greater in the Kingdom...but as we read more of Scripture we come to find that we are no greater than the next person...even if that person is Pat Robertson.:)...Thanks for leaving your comment bro. I love hearing what you think. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been down that road of saying "I'll give when I can"... but I always have something to give. This blog excites me... I like to know I have fellow Christians out there who are traveling with me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete

Followers